Thursday, February 9, 2012

Did you consider the meaning of baby names when choosing a name for your child?

I didn't. I just picked what I thought was pretty. Of course I've since looked the meanings up:



My oldest is Jocelynn - Old German, "a member of the German tribe, the Gauts

My youngest is Paige - English, "young servant"



So I find them a bit odd lol. So did you pick a name based on meaning or how you thought it sounded?Did you consider the meaning of baby names when choosing a name for your child?
Not really we just focused on the way they sound and look. Of course we looked up the meanings when deciding on the names...but never actually considered changing names because of the meaning. No one really knows or cares abouts meanings these days.
Always, I know most people don't care, but for some reason meaning means a lot to me. A lot of the boy names I like means something to do with the Christian god, and I feel kind of weird because I'm atheist, but my family is Christan and the connotation isn't bad so I still like them. Everett means strong as a wild boar, and that feels very masculine to me. Demetri means mother nature, so I'll only use it as a middle because now it's seems girly to me. Naomi means pleasant and beautiful. Anastasia means resurrection. Cassandra was a prophet and a greek goddess and I love names with history.



For girls middle names, I love names that mean things like my favorite flower, so I like Iris, I also like Willow, and names that have to do with the moon like Selena. The only time I've ever taken something off of my list because of it's meaning was Cameron, it means crooked nose.Did you consider the meaning of baby names when choosing a name for your child?
Most don't consider meanings at all but I do.

When I'm selecting names for my forever changing favourite name list for my future children if I'm lucky enough to be blessed with children because it's nice for a child to have a lovely meaning rather than having the meaning of 'ugly bald head'. I normally choose names that I adore firstly than look at their meanings normally there meanings are rather nice for instance my favourite girl's name is Vivienne and the meaning of that is 'alive' and my favourite boy's name is Levi which has the meaning of 'joined in harmony'. I used to love the name Cameron until I discovered it's meaning of 'crooked nose' which put be of the name. I want 'my children' too one day look at the meaning of there name and smile, which c'mon lets face it we have all once looked up the meaning of our names and I want it to be a moment that makes them smile... so yes I look at the meanings for that moment in their lives.Did you consider the meaning of baby names when choosing a name for your child?
My children have English first names %26amp; Japanese middle names

For the Japanese I considered the meaning because we have to choose which kanji (Chinese) character to use as their official name

In English, I considered the heritage of the name but not the meaning

After I had already picked Evan I found out it meant "little warrior" and when he is being rebellious I regret it

Jocelynn %26amp; Paige are beautiful names
Those are very pretty names you picked out, but I did consider the meaning of my baby's name. I wanted something that was pretty, unique, and had meaning. I picked Calista. The orgin is greek and the meaning is "most beautiful" which indeed she is. Most people just pick something simple with basically no meaning like "mary". My neighbor was named Mary. I feel kind of bad for her because there has to be a billion different mary's in the state of California. Hope this helps! :)
Both, I wouldn't pick a name purely because i liked the meaning, but i do think it is important to have a name with a nice meaning,

I would have to like the way it looks, sounded and it would need a nice meaning. i would also want it to represent mine and my partners family or me or my partner in some way , im kinda fussy :)
I actually used cheerios numerology when i name my children, because they say the fate of the numbers in your name can explict alot in your life, and to stay far away from 4麓s and 8麓s, so I take all my childrens names and do numerology to them. It may be crazy or un realistic but i figure it it isnt im giving my child the best possibilty.
My husband and I always start with making a list of 4-6 baby names from each gender that we really like. Then, we research the origins and meanings of them all, and take off any names that we don't like the meanings of.



Our childrens names mean:



First child: A castle.

Second child: Grace of God.

Third child: Prince.
They weren't a big deal to my husband and I, but we did check them just to make sure they didn't mean 'unloved' or something like that.



We picked names based on how they sounded. Because no one is going to care that your childs name means 'handsome prince' if it sounds like Scratchybutt.
Most name meanings are pretty obscure so I don't think it matters unless you want to buy one of those name meaning keychains. My name is Lauren and apparently that means "Man from Laurentum" but on keychains it will just say something about laurels meaning victory or something haha.
when thinking of names i do look up the meaning %26amp;%26amp; origin beforehand. but i do like the names jocelynn %26amp;%26amp; paige



:)



what do you think of these names?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>
I currently have an adopted son.So he was already named.But for my future children I plan to name them names that I love.Although the meanings are not bad.But I am more focused on the names themselves.
ahaaaaa , servant , ahaaaaaaaahaaa . i pick names on how it looks and sounds , meanings are stupid . jocelynn is cute , though .
If I like the way a name looks and sounds I'll choose it, but I'll probably take the name into consideration to make sure its not bad or they won't be teased about it ,
I actually wouldn't even think to do that, but I will now!
no i wouldn't

No comments:

Post a Comment