Friday, January 27, 2012

What does "Pledge" mean when it comes to baby name meanings?

My name is Giselle and I was on babynames.com, trying to get the meaning of my name. I was named after the ballet, but the meaning for my name is "pledge"; "hostage"...wtf does that mean?! Can someone shed some light on this one?



Merci Beaucoup!What does "Pledge" mean when it comes to baby name meanings?
Come now, please look at the good side of pledge, which we can say is another word for promise. Let's say for instance you the type of person who keeps their promises; see how it fits.

Anyways this is what I found for the word pledge:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/p… and here's the flip side: http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/pl…

Your name is very beautiful use only the best words to describe it.
Well, I'm glad to see you happy once more.

Report Abuse

What does "Pledge" mean when it comes to baby name meanings?
I think pledge means to keep a promise. One of the definitions of pledge used to be hostage, but that's way old, so it doesn't apply anymore.What does "Pledge" mean when it comes to baby name meanings?
It means a promise, but in the sense of a hostage, it would mean someone who is offered as a pledge to free someone else. It's kind of heroic, don't you think?

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisela_%28n…
It comes from the old Germanic word gisil, or “pledge.” It has long been a popular name in France, and is also fairly widespread in Germany, where the usual variant is Gisela. I'm not sure where hostage came from, but that's what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment